Course Name: Graphic Designing Duration: 3 months
Program Area 1: Introduction to the Graphic Design Industry
• Students are introduced to the graphic design industry through magazines, internet, etc. We begin to talk about audience.
- History of Graphic Design
- Future of Graphic Design
Program Area 2: Introduction to the equipment
• Students use multimedia elements to create projects with graphic design software. The introduction of each piece of equipment would be tied to a relevant graphics project.
- Digital tablet
Program Area 3: Elements of Design
• Students learn about design elements through projects such as; creating examples of color schemes using graphic software and creating an original alphabet based on a theme. Each project includes self reflection and a peer review.
Program Area 4: Principles of Design
• Students learn the principles of design through projects such as; posters, creating original designs that reflect an emotion, magazine covers, product ads, cereal box prototypes, candy wrappers etc. They do a self-reflection on their projects and a peer review. Some projects include a presentation to the class.
Program Area 5: Typography
• In teams students create a business proposal and create branding for that business including a
commercial and magazine ad. They present the product to the class.
- Anatomy of a letter
- Typographic Measurement
- Typographic Standards
- Typographic Guidelines
Program Area 6: Creating images for print & web
• Students learn when to use particular image formats for individual projects. They create collages, logos, cd covers, etc. Each project includes self reflection and a peer review.
- Raster Vs Vector
Program Area 7: Editing Images
• Students use images scanned and from the internet to create projects while learning to cite sources and understand whether or not they can legally use the image.
Program Area 8: Leadership
• Students will participate in leadership activities such as: perfect attendance, school involvement, volunteering in the community as well as performing other leadership tasks within the classroom, school and community.